Monday 2 July 2018

30th June - Abbott's Wood, Hampshire and Thursley Common, Surrey

The warm, sunny weather had continued through the week, and this morning was no exception.  It was not for once an early start, but it was still quiet as I pulled into the car park at Abbott's Wood Inclosure at Alice Holt.  Once again the target was the Purple Emperor, last week they had teased us, and while there was a good show from a single female, the males kept themselves high in the oaks.  Today was right in the middle of their season, and I was hoping that finally I would get the views that everyone else seems to get.  Since seeing my first Purple Emperor over five years ago I have never had the stunning views that are possible.  My hope was that today that could be put right.

After leaving the car I wandered around the car park area.  There are several large Oaks here, and all the guide books describe this as a good place to see them.  It was though quite early for them.  I did though get fleeting glimpses of Purple Hairstreak as they flew around the leaves at the top of the trees.

Leaving the car park I headed down the main path.  As well as the beautiful blue skies and sunshine there was quite a fresh north-easterly breeze that kept the air temperature down. There was little activity in the trees, all I saw for the first quarter of an hour was a male Beautiful Demoiselle high in the oaks.  I paused at a crossroads where there was grass, bramble and bracken in full sunlight.  Meadow Browns and Ringlets could be seen amongst the grass stems, always the first butterflies to become active in the morning.

I continued on, with more Meadow Browns about by the side of the path, and every so often the sight of a Purple Hairstreak flying across the path.  I was able to follow one, and watched it settle on a leaf high up in the oak.  Not the most stunning photograph of one I have taken, but a record of my first for the year.


There were lots of perfect sites along the main path, tall and large Oaks with Sallow underneath or alongside them.  There was though no sign of my quarry.  Still it was quite early, although the other butterfly species were beginning to appear.  This Large Skipper nectaring on a bramble.


I found myself back at the crossroads I had stopped at earlier, as well as the Meadow Browns and Ringlets there were skippers here too, taking in the warm sunshine on the bracken fronds.


A male Marbled Brown weaved its way through the grass stems, pausing every so often to catch the sunshine.


Beautifully marked on both the upper wing, and under wing


This is the best time of the day to catch them as they can remain quite still on the grass stems.  Later on they zip past you as they start to search out a mate.


One of the commonest butterflies in Hampshire is the Meadow Brown, and therefore not a frequent photographic subject.  But where with the lovely green background, and the pink of the thistle flower, they are worthy.



The other brown butterfly seen early in the morning was the Ringlet, despite its brown appearance the presence of the round dots on the underwing set the butterfly aside from the Meadow Brown.



The tactics were to walk back and forth along the main path.  after completing at least three of these I decided to venture a little further.  The adrenaline had increased briefly a little earlier when a Red Admiral flew around me in an open patch, only for it to settle on the ground and reveal itself as just that, a Red Admiral.

As I headed up the path there was someone ahead.  He was standing by the side of the path holding his camera.  As I got closer I noticed a strange shape on the path.  Looking through binoculars I could see that the shape was indeed a butterfly.  My pace quickened, as did my heart beat.

Yes at last it was a Purple Emperor on the ground, and imbibing from a damp patch on the path


As it opened it wings I could see that it was a male, however the distinctive purple on the upper wing was not showing due to the angle of the light.


Slowly I tried to move around to photograph from a different angle, but it continued to hold the wings high, showing the beautiful markings on the under wings.


As we stood watch the Emperor, a gust of wind blew it over, it was knocked sideways, but never stopped imbibing, as it did roll over I was treated to a short flash of the beautiful purple colour on the upper wing


It settle back, with the wings raised, and I made my way around it slowly photographing it from all angles.


It continued, unconcerned, to feed.


The suddenly without warning it was off, flying up strongly and over our heads and around the trees.  I managed to relocate it sitting in an Ash tree.


Then it was off again, this time out of sight.  The thought was that it would return, and we hung around, wandering every so often up and down the path.  After a time it was decided that it was not going to return, although the pulse quickened when this White Admiral appeared on the path


I walked back down the path to the junction where I had seen the Red Admiral earlier.  Here there were several Oaks, and also quite a few Sallow so there was the chance that there could be one around.

We stood talking, and waiting.  Suddenly a large butterfly could be seen flying along the path and heading for us.  It flew around my head, moving slowly down, and allowing me to see flashes of purple as the wings caught the sunlight.  At firs I thought it would land on me, and while that would be a lovely experience it would not be good for photography.  My fears of this though eased as it flew away and settled close by on the ground.

At last, stunning.


Cue the camera shutter!



I know they all look the same, but for me this one is the best one!


Then it was gone, flying away with the heavy wing beats that show how strong a flyer this superb insect is.  Was it well worth the wait, well clearly yes, but I just wish it hadn't been such a long time.  There were fleeting glimpses of males flying around the oaks, but not of anymore on the ground.

Walking back to the car park I managed to locate another Purple Hairstreak on an oak leaf.  A little better view this time.


In a sunny patch a Silver-washed Fritillary flew around the path and over the bracken, settling briefly on the leaves.


Another stunning butterfly, but with out the majesty of the Emperor.



Before setting off I walked around the car park once more, this time walking into the picnic area.  There was a line of bramble, and lots of thistle in flower, and this attracted a Large White.


After Abbotts Wood it was off to Thursley Common in Surrey.  A male Red-backed Shrike had been reported in the week, and was still present this morning.  The car park was full, but eventually a space appeared.  After lunch it was out onto the heath, and then walking along the boardwalk.

The shrike was occupying an area around Pudmore Pond, and the best viewing area was from the boardwalk on the south of the pond.  As I arrived it wasn't showing, and I walked along the boardwalk to look for dragonflies.  There were Black-tailed and Keeled Skimmers, as well as Four-spotted Chasers all over the pond, but I managed to find an adult male Black Darter.


I was looking for something unusual, and this Black-tailed Skimmer sitting on a reed stem provided it


Walking back along the boardwalk I picked up the Red-backed Shrike perched on a branch of a pine tree in the middle of the reeds.  Yes the light was good, but the bird itself was a long way off, and I was only able to get a record shot


Since the second world war the red-backed shrike has declined as a breeding bird in the UK, to the point where it was found to be extinct as a breeding bird.  Recently there has been a few records of the shrike breeding, but this lovely little has become quite a rarity at this time of year.  My only sightings have been of juvenile birds in the autumn, although I have seen plenty in continental Europe.

I wanted to get a better view, so decided to walk around to view from the north side of the pond.  It was closer, and yes the light was not good but it was possible to watch the bird better.


From the south side, I had seen the bird fly from the tree and out across the reeds, returning to the same perch.  From this side when it returned after one of those forays I could see that it had caught a Four-Spot Chaser


I watched the bird, but after catching the dragonfly, it seemed to settle down in the shade of the tree, and didn't move.  It was hot and time to move on.  As I walked back I noticed a damselfly in the heather.  Closer in I could see that it was an adult Emerald Damselfly


I walked the boardwalk, stopping at the pools to watch the dragonflies.  Here a female black-tailed skimmer.


And a female laying eggs in the weeds


A Four Spot Chaser


And a Brown Hawker, the first time I have managed to photograph one


Back at the car park it was still busy, and quite hot.  It was time to leave.  It had been a memorable day, one to remember.  Finally I had managed to see a Purple Emperor in all its finery.  Definitely not a case of the Emperor's new clothes, stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment