Monday 19 July 2021

17th July - Abbotts Wood, Alice Holt Forest, Hampshire

Just when we thought we were never going to get a summer, the weather changed.  Since my last visit to Abbotts Wood, when overcast conditions and cool temperature on the day failed to see the Purple Emperor, the weather has been awful, with constant rain and hardly any sunshine, then on Wednesday this week the change came, the sun shone and the forecast was encouraging.  Through the rest of the week the temperature warmed and sun shone.  I arrived in the car park with some optimism, as I walked the main path there were Silver-washed Fritillaries gliding over the bracken and of course plenty of Ringlet and Meadow Brown.

I headed to the area Ian and I had left in the drizzle two weeks ago, and as I reached the area a Purple Emperor appeared fling high above the path buzzing the edges of the oak trees.  A great start they were about, now it was about getting that crippling view.  Turning off the path there were several others present and I settled in to watch the oak and sallow that was both in front of me and alongside the ride.

There were several more high views and the Purple Emperor teased as it glided over the tops of the oak and sallow.  The flickering grey shape of another small purple butterfly was also seen, this being the Purple Hairstreak, only viewable with the binoculars as they settled on the oak leaves high up.

Other butterflies to entertain while we waited for the Emperor to arrive was a really showy Comma.



Several Comma were seen through the day, probably as a result of a second emergence with the arrival of the warm weather.


Silver-washed Fritillaries were all over the place, hardly ever settling as they searched through the bracken and up high in the trees.  Several were seen in courtship display where the male loops over the female as they fly along.  This individual settled on the thistles close to the area we were watching from.



Then a Ringlet sat amongst the dappled sunshine.

A very large Hornet was found on one of the branches, I didn't realise at the time that the branch was covered in aphids.  Whether this was the attraction for the Hornet I wasn't sure, but it was a very impressive insect.



I estimated it to be about 5-6 centimetres long, a huge beast.

The main event though was continuing to tease high up in the trees.  As a result one or two watchers decided to drift away to search elsewhere.  I stayed put and was rewarded when one Purple Emperor came lower and flew amongst those who had stayed, as it did so it showed off the metallic blue purple colouring on the upper wing.  The colour flashing as it twisted between us, continuing to tease as it threatened to settle on the ground, but never actually doing so.  There were two f these fly pasts and it only served to add to the frustration this butterfly causes, but which at the same time adds to the mystery and need to see it.

After these fly pasts the emperors returned to the tops of the trees.  It was not easy to estimate numbers, there were many sightings but I only managed to see three at any one time.  As the morning wore on the temperature rose and it became very hot.  All the books and experts will tell you that the best time to observe the males is around mid morning, just before it becomes too hot an then take refuges amongst the leaves in the cooler air at the top of the trees.  True to form the number of sightings began to dry up after 11:00 and I started to consider moving away.  Eventually I was the last one there watching the leaves, many having left with what they considered acceptable views.  I wanted more, but realised that this now would not be easy.

I decided to walk along the main path, there had been reports of Purple Hairstreak showing well.  I quickly found the hairstreaks and while they were not as low as those at Browndown, they were easily seen and photographable.



Everyone was wanting them to open up to show the purple upper wing.  For me though the underwing is what makes this little butterfly special, here sitting in the shade of the oak leaves

Coming back along the path I met a couple who pointed out a Southern Hawker perched in a tree.

As well as the Southern Hawker there had been a Brown Hawker about too.  At one point one of the Purple Emperors buzzed the brown Hawker as it flew around the oak.  Other dragonflies included a Beautiful Demoiselle and a reported Golden-ringed Dragonfly.

The couple also informed that they had just seen a Purple Emperor on the ground close to where I had been waiting earlier.  I knew I should have stuck at and stayed put.  I headed back to where they said they had seen it but could only find this White Admiral, however I did meet someone who corroborated the sighting.


 It was now midday and I was getting a little hungry, so I decided to walk back to the car, there was always a chance something could appear on the path, I was also determined to come back regardless of the time and heat, I didn't really want to come back here again.

Along the way I came across this Small White.



It was nice to catch up with the white butterflies as there have not been many about due to the poor weather. The warmth has brought out both Large and Small Whites.

A little further along there was a couple of Marbled White.  Another sign of how late the butterflies have been this year, Marbled Whites would becoming quite tatty by now in a normal year, these looking quite smart.




As I left the car top return to continue my vigil I noticed a large butterfly on the track leading to the car park, there was still water in the puddles and the butterfly was imbibing.

As you can see it wasn't what I had hoped, but a Red Admiral.

The walk back to the assembly area was a hot one.  The butterflies were not stopping at all, Silver-washed Fritillaries zipped past me while the Ringlets and Meadow Browns flitted amongst the grasses.

As I reached the crossroads area I sought some shade as the sun was now very hot.  I cursed because i meant to pick up some of the horse manure that was left on the path.  As I mulled this over a large butterfly flew past at about waist high along the path.  At firs I watched then I started to run, chasing it as it glided swiftly low over the gravel.  Finally it settled and I was able first to get the record shot.

He had arrived, the wait in the heat being worth it, now would it stay?  I waited then as it seemed to be quite settled I edged closer.


At first the wings were held up and there was no colour showing



Then it slowly lowered them to show the glorious purple sheen on the upper wing






Then it started to move as if searching.



The male butterfly is one of the most beautiful of all of the butterflies found in the British Isles. From certain angles it appears to have black wings intersected with white bands. However, when the wings are at a certain angle to the sun, the most beautiful purple sheen is displayed, a result of light being refracted from the structures of the wing scales. The female, on the other hand, is a deep brown and does not possess the purple sheen found in the male.

Sometimes confused with the commoner White Admiral which is smaller and lacks the two eye spots on the hind wing.

The Purple Emperor spends most of its time in the woodland canopy where it feeds on aphid honeydew, with the occasional close encounter when it comes down to feed on sap runs or, in the case of the male, animal droppings, carrion or moist ground that provide much-needed salts and minerals.

It was then off flying around but staying low, I followed it but it didn't go far, settling back down on to the path, but this time it came close, I didn't have to creep up to it


What was distinctive was the long yellowish green proboscis that it used to probe the sand and mud on the path



Here some close up views showing the distinctive eye and the proboscis.



It happily crept around as I followed it and even managed to get down low.






Then it was off and led me a merry dance as it flew up and down the path as if looking for something.  At one point it settled on a fallen branch in the ditch but clearly didn't like it and continued up and down again.  It obviously could find anything it was searching for so finally disappeared up into the trees. 

No matter I was made up, my patience had finally been rewarded and I had been able to enjoy this enigmatic butterfly.  Every year I try and not every year am I successful.  The only other time I have had views like those I had just experienced was back in 2018.  I suppose I could go to the sweet spots in Sussex, but I kind of prefer the challenge here in Hampshire.  I wonder when I will get so close again, hopefully next year.  For now I have no further need to chase "Him", the job is done for this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment