Monday 24 January 2022

22nd January - Hill Head, Titchfield Haven Canal Path & Reserve, Hampshire

After the clear, cold mornings that were present through the week, my journey to Hill Head this morning was in temperatures just above freezing, with a thick cloud cover and absolutely no wind.  Arriving at the sea wall just after sun rise it was gloomy with the tide well out and a still calm sea.

As I kitted up to face the weather I noticed the Sanderling feeding along the tide line below me, as they were a year tick once sorted out I walked across the beach and got down low to get just a few more images.  The challenge though was to get something a little different, this challenge didn't start too well though.

But then I thought, how about black and white, the conditions were gloomy and the images at a very high ISO, so I have converted these:




As the Sanderling feed there are groups that have there own Black-headed Gull "minder".  The gulls stay close and wait for the waders to pull up something of significant interest and then move in to take it.  The gulls also appear to call to each other as if discussing which group has the best chance of a meal.

Finally a couple of shots with some colour.


Leaving the beach I walked around to the corner of the harbour and scanned the sea, a group of 23 Eider were offshore and quite close for once.  I could just make out their calls as the drakes displayed to the females.

The sea though, further out, was dominated by Great-crested Grebes, as I scanned from east to west I counted 164, but there could well have been more as many were diving intermittently.  Whilst scanning through the many grebes I picked up two waders heading east mid channel, I managed to get the scope on them because my first thought was curlew which are not that common here, but they were in fact Bar-tailed Godwits.  I watched them as they carried on and away past Lee.

Walking back to the car the water level in Duck Bay was low and there was mud exposed at the base of the reeds.  I scanned along the base and found what I was looking for a Water Rail.


There were two showing quite well despite the gloom, this one starling a Snipe that was resting on the mud.

I decided to walk up to the first viewing point on the cliffs just past the chalets, with the sea so calm it would be easier to pick things out from up there.  Scanning around there were more Great-crested Grebes and a large distant group of Eider.  Once again the gulls were playing minders and it was down to the gulls that I managed to locate the four Velvet Scoters.  With the sea so still it was possible to zoom right to the extent of the scope and get some great views, being able to make out the white markings at the bottom and back of the eye in the drake, while the females have more of a smudge behind the eye.  But of course there was also the obligatory wing flap to show the white wing panel.  Here is the best record shot I could get of two of the duck.

Easier to identify were three Eider that came past before heading into Southampton Water.

The tide was now rising but it was still extremely calm and still.

I continued to scan back and forth and eventually found something different a very distant Red-throated Diver.  I felt it would be an idea to go back to the car to see if it was closer from the sea wall, but once I got there I couldn't locate it.  I did however pick up a Sandwich Tern, at first around the harbour mouth and then just off the disappearing Rainbow Bar.

From the car I decided to walk the Canal Path, it has been a while since I have walked it.  At the start though I remembered why it is sometimes best to avoid it in winter.  The mud was quite heavy in places and with even boots on you feel like you are taking one step forward and two backwards.

I could see a raptor in a tree at the back of the fields and dismissed it as a Buzzard as it was pretty much in the centre of the tree.  But as I walked on I picked up a male Marsh Harrier, and no bird in the tree.

There were several Chiffchaff calling from the trees alongside the canal.  I finally managed to see one though as it was fly catching from the reeds.

At Posbrook Floods there were Shoveler, Wigeon, Teal and Pintail, but most were scattered around the edge of the floods with mostly Coot in the open water.

Robins appeared to be pairing up with pairs being seen tolerating each other on the fence.  I liked the background with this Robin.

It had to be done, I walked to the view point for the Barn Owl and there it was sitting nicely in the opening.  This gives an idea of how open the tree appears at this time of year.

Then a closer view, this time in black and white because I have many of these views, I need something different.

It will be a sad day when this easy year tick isn't there any more.

Job done, I made my way back.  As well as the Robins showing some sign of Spring, the Great Tits too were very vocal, probably in part due to the rise in temperature today as well as the thoughts of spring.

A little further a Kestrel was sitting at the top of a tree and watch the field intently


This allowed to get quite close before it moved on as I walked beneath it

With lunch approaching I decided to spend the rest of the day on the reserve, my walk to the visitor centre to check was interrupted when I checked the beach behind the harbour and saw that there was a sizeable Sanderling roost, well who could resist.

I walked down to the water's edge and managed to view across the groyne, with a nice black groyne on the other side as a background.



A few were still feeding at the edge, probing in the surf.



Then a few flew up the concrete structure around the groyne to feed on the sea weed there.


I like the background on this one, the sand of the beach and the colourful beach huts.


Here they are amongst the bladder wrack.


I think that is enough for today.

Stopping off at the bridge a Little Grebe was diving directly below the bridge.

I decided to walk all the way to the furthest hide on the west side, the Spurgin Hide.  There had been recent reports of a Siberian Chiffchaff, plus good views of Cetti's Warblers and of all the choices available this seemed the best option to start.  Arriving in the hide I settled down with lunch to wait it out.  In front of me the water was empty and all that was to be seen were a pair of Stonechat in the recently cut strip of reeds.

Eventually the Stonechat couple found themselves to the left of the hide amongst the reed mace.  Here the female.


Then the male


As the female Stonechat was dropping to the ground from the reeds a Cetti's Warbler appeared in the reeds.



Named after 18th century zoologist, Francesco Cetti, they are recent colonisers of the UK, Cetti's warblers were first recorded in this country in 1961, and first bred here in Kent in 1973.


A small, rather nondescript bird, Cetti's warbler is a skulking bird and can prove very difficult to see. It usually makes its presence known with loud bursts of song and the first glimpse will probably be of a dark, rather stocky warbler with short wings and a full, rounded tail, diving for cover.


Then as was reported it showed really well out in the open.




Then it resumed normal behaviour by disappearing into the reed mace, later giving away its presence with a burst of song.

The Stonechats though were still about.  The female on the top of a reed mace head


And the male in amongst the bulrush.


Then normal service was resumed no birds just the fly past of Mallard, Shoveler and a few Black-tailed Godwits.  However a loud rasping call announced the arrival of a Grey Heron.


A perfect landing


And a lovely reflection as it stalked the shallow water around the reeds.


Another familiar loud call came from above as a pair of Raven flew over.


I had enough of waiting and headed for the Meon Shore Hide.  The water levels had fallen a little, but there were not many birds close to the hide.  The water had been frozen in the week so many of the duck would have moved away, Those present were the Shoveler, Gadwall, Mallard, Teal and Shelduck.  There were Teal on the island in front of the hide.


As usual the Lapwing were very flighty and would go up every so often, but on this occasion everything else went up with them, including duck from the Meon and many snipe.  It took a while but the reason then appeared as a male Marsh Harrier appeared.


It flew up and down the reeds alongside the Meon, and would have been showing well from the Suffern Hide.  Then it turned and for once started to come towards the hide low over the reeds.



Again scattering the duck and many more Snipe.


Here a Snipe heading away.


Then, something I have not experienced before it came across the scrape in front of the hide.


Constantly scanning below for any opportunity.




Here a look at the eyes, yellow and piercing 





Some of the best shots I have taken of a Marsh Harrier, normally they are distant here, choosing to stay over the reeds.

A little after the Marsh Harrier moved away everything went up again, this time though it was due to a Sparrowhawk that must have appeared behind the hide, I picked it up as it appeared to the right and headed towards the trees on the east side.


The Snipe returned to the island in front of the hide, as they returned I counted sixteen.


Both raptors had shook things up a bit and there were now birds close to the hide.  First, this drake Gadwall.


A Lapwing on the island, sporting a rather nice crest


Then a chance to appreciate the earth like colours of the drake Teal.




Some interesting stuff today, catching up on the year list and some great views, always nice to see the Sanderlings, great views of the Cetti's Warbler and of course the Marsh Harrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment