Friday 5 January 2024

4th January - Farnham and Tice's Meadow, Surrey

A New Year, 2024.  So it was back to Farnham for the Waxwings seen at the end of the last year.  This time I was setting off in the morning and in sunshine, albeit watery sunshine.  As I pulled up to the traffic lights at Haven Way I could see that there were already quite a few photographers (I can't call them birders, more of which later) and I could make out Waxwings at the top of the berry tree.

I turned right and parked down by the hospital and walked back to the green where I had left a few days ago.  The situation was much the same, people with cameras staring at the berry tree and about ten Waxwings in the tree overlooking the area.  Then the waxwings flew down and started to take the berries, I hadn't set up the exposure and it was all a bit of a rush.  I managed a few shots before they took flight once again, this was the best.

Not the best picture, but it could be the only one I took because the Waxwings didn't return to the main tree but circled and then flew off towards the hospital.  Unlike everybody else I had binoculars and was able to follow them as they flew away.  Finally I watched them settle in a tree where the top of the branches just showed above the roof of the houses in the estate opposite the hospital.  I could seem them quite clearly taking in the sun at the top of the branches.

As I looked at them I thought that they must have gone for a reason, so decided to try and find them.  I walked back past the hospital, then turned left into the estate.  There was one tree that stood out clearly and I was using this to guide me to the one the waxwings were seen in.  Coming around a corner I could hear the unmistakeable trilling calls and there in a tree between two houses were ten Waxwings.

I stood and watched and waited, they seemed to be enjoying the sunshine and then one flew to the tree I was standing near, and the rest followed.  I had to step back to be able to get a view.






I was standing in an area with a small child's playground and like a cul-de-sac.  There were birch trees on either side and the Waxwings then flew across me to another birch, here a little back lit by the watery sun.



Then they came back to the birch under which I was standing, again at the top.




They must have welcomed the sunshine and still conditions as much as I did, it was time for a preen.




A scratch



And finally a wing stretch.


This was something special, it was fast becoming a realisation that I had this birds all to myself and then it became clear why they were here.  I hadn't noticed a small Rowan tree in the middle of a courtyard to my left.  The Waxwings knew though and all ten dropped from the birch tree to gorge on the berries.


It wasn't like the brief visit at Haven Way, here they took there time.




Then they flew back to the tree near to me.


The winter sunshine accentuating the reds and pinks of the plumage.



First winter birds lack the tails on the yellow bars on the primaries, females have the tails half way while the male has the tail go across the folded primaries as can be seen here in this rear view.


The Waxwings were alternating between the trees and the Rowan tree, feeding on the berries.



Not crystal sharp on the head, but I like the blur of the wings and the yellow flashes.


It was wonderful have these beautiful birds to myself, no one pushing past to get a better view or disturbing the birds, if they were disturbed it would be my fault, but they weren't.


These were my favourite shots showing off the yellow bars and the red waxy tips on the secondaries.



I just love the crest and the way it sits as if to show off the grandeur.


Again the beautiful markings on the primaries and the yellow tip to the tail.




Do I look a little like Don King in this one?


The time past quickly, I realised I had been with them for just under an hour.  They flew once again to the Rowan and the berries.  Here showing their acrobatic skills to pluck the berries from their stalks



A stunning adult male bird showing the glory of all the markings.



When they left the berries this time they flew to the tree where I had first found them.  They stayed for a while at the top taking in what was now watery sunshine.  Then they were disturbed by a pair of Magpie and flew off and out of sight.

I walked back to the site at Haven Way to see if they had returned there, but they hadn't and I took some joy, only a little mind you, of telling those present of my experience.

Moving on I wanted to visit somewhere that I have known of for sometime, but never visited.  Tice's Meadow just outside Badshot Lea.  I have driven past it so many times as I would head to work, and I have seen the many reports of good birds there, but that was as far as it went.  So today I was going to correct that.

I parked at the Pea Bridge entrance and walked down a muddy track through a small copse.  Redwing were in the trees, Chaffinches amongst the leaf litter and Song Thrush could be heard singing.  I eventually came to a mound where there was a shelter that overlooked the water and meadow.  On the water were Shoveler, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Teal and Mallard plus these Egyptian Geese.


A little further along the path was a hide that was low on the water, getting there was through more mud, but was worth it when I finally reached the hide.  In front was a lovely drake Tufted Duck.



And a Great Crested Grebe.


But it was good numbers of Pochard that pleased me the most, all were sleeping but it provided the opportunity to appreciate the wonderful plumage.


Crossing.


Together


Always though watching with that red eye.


There had been reports of two Black-necked Grebe and scanning across the water I found one at the back of the lake.


A birder in the hide said it was possible to view through a gap in the trees and that he grebe maybe closer, so we walked down to the gap and it was.


Apparently the two have been present for just over six weeks and they seemed quite settled, who knows if they stick around they may start to get their summer plumage and even better breed.



About the same size as a Slavonian Grebe they have the dark smudges on the neck and a much larger black cap.  Like all the grebes they also have the red eye.



One interesting observation was this partially leucistic Coot, not something I have ever seen before.



Walking back I popped into the hide one more time, the Pochard were still there and still sleeping, or resting.


A closer view.


And finally one with its head up.


Walking back there were more thrushes, both Redwing and Fieldfare and the singing Song Thrushes.  Goldcrests and Long-tailed Tits were in the scrub, while Cetti's Warbler and Reed Bunting were seen on the edge of the water.

The forecast was for heavy rain in the afternoon and by now the sun had gone.  It was a wonderful experience with the Waxwings earlier, one I will not forget.  The visit to Tice's Meadow opened my eyes to somewhere that is a lot closer, even if it is in Surrey and I will definitely be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment