Friday 12 July 2024

11th July - Keyhaven - Lymington Reserve, Hampshire

It was back to Lymington this morning, but this time in clear blue skies and early morning sunshine.  Walking along Normandy Lane towards the eight acre pond Meadow Browns danced through the grasses on the side of the road.  Walking alongside the pond Swallows were dipping in the water before heading through and out across the Solent.

This was the view as I walked up onto the sea wall, a very low tide with plenty of exposed mud.

With the excellent light and the fact that it was not too hot yet to put up a heat haze I headed to Normandy Marsh in the hope the Long-billed Dowitcher was still about.  |As I rounded the corner towards Normandy there were Black-tailed Godwits feeding on the mud, most were still in summer plumage.


There was a group of birders on the south wall watching Tern Island for the Roseates.  I was greeted with the news that the dowitcher had not been seen all morning since dawn and the assumption was it had gone.  Rather than add to the search I decided to stay and watch the terns.  With the lovely morning light and still water this Avocet was producing a lovely reflection and a shadow on the water.



I had to wait about half an hour before the first Roseate appeared coming over the sea wall and low over the water towards the island, it didn't seem to be carrying any food for the chicks.


Once landed the chicks came out of the mayweed to see the parent and I was able to see how much they had grown.
 

One was sporting the beginnings of a black cap and the feathers on the back and wings were scalloped with a light brown.  The feeling is that these have just under a week before they fledge, both chicks were flapping their wings while out in the open.


The adult then left and it was back to waiting and watching.


A flock of around a dozen small waders flew over the marsh and then around and passed me as they flew away out on to the mud in the Solent.  In flight I couldn't see any wing bars and considered maybe Ringed Plover, but when I reviewed the images I could see the yellow eye rings, they were Little Ringed Plover.  I don't recall ever having seen that many together at any one time before.





Finally the Roseate returned, this time with a fish, but as it tried to drop on to the island the Common Terns set about it and chased it around the lagoon.


It took several attempts to land, but finally it managed to do so and pass the fish to one of the chicks.  Almost immediately it was off again, flying low over the water and dipping into the water.

It settled on the water and had a very good wash before flying to the sand bar.  I took a short walk down and was as close as I have been to this tern.



Watching from the top of the sea wall there was a bit of heat haze, so I dropped down to try and get at eye level and it was a lot better.



I tried to see if it was possible to get any detail from the ring, but on cropping in I couldn't see anything, any detail probably on the other side.



It had quite an extensive preen, shaking and stretching the wings.




The amount of red at the base of the bill has increased slightly.


Then as two juvenile Common Terns came over it was off and away over the sea wall and out to sea once again.


Another breeding success (so far) on the reserve belongs to an Eider, originally she had five ducklings, now only three remain, but it was lovely to see them in the water as the tide rose around the saltmarsh offshore.




As the Eider swam away I turned my attention to a Little Tern that was coming very close to fish in the rising tide.  They have a very distinctive flight, to me, very bat like.  When they hover they do so with rapid wing beats the head held motionless looking down into the water.




The Little Terns at Normandy have been very successful too this year and there were several juvenile birds flying around the lagoon.




This one was completely unfazed by me, coming quite close at times.


I walked north along the east side of the lagoon until I reached the part of the ditch where there was thick weed in the water.  I had been told there were juvenile Water Rails showing here and as I walked up one appeared on the weed in the middle of the channel.



I was told there were three and the adults, but I only saw two juveniles.


I decided to walk back, this male Linnet looking quite splendid when perched on the fence.


The tide was rising now and the only waders feeding out on Oxey Lake were Curlew.



Just before leaving Normandy this Common Tern sat nicely on one of the posts.


There were lots of wild flowers in bloom along the sea wall path, yellow Ragwort and white Yarrow dominating, but also some Knapweed and thistles.  I found my first Gatekeeper of the year settled on the path.


I decided to walk to Fishtail, passing Salterns this Black-tailed Godwit looked splendid stood amongst the bullrushes on one of the islands.


Couldn't help thinking this looks a little like those stuffed animals seen in a cabinet.


It was a beautiful day and very welcoming to be out in warm sunshine once again.


Coming around Butts Bay there was a Reed Warbler showing ridiculously well at the base of the reeds in Butts Lagoon.



Not sure what it was doing out in the open, but was very nice to see.


As I reached Fishtail a Great Egret flew up from the back of the lagoon and flew off towards Keyhaven.



The small island in the middle of Fishtail Lagoon was covered with Avocet and a few Black-tailed Godwits.  I counted 87 Black-tailed Godwits and 112 Avocet.


A Greenshank unphased by the arrival of the cattle in the water.


Walking over the Old Tip I was able to check the back of Fishtail, where I found a single Little Ringed Plover.


I walked across the Old Tip and checked the Shoveler Pools for waders with no luck.  I then walked back to Normandy along the footpath to Oxey and then around Oxey and Salterns once again.  Highlights were Red Admiral, Comma, Marbled White and a lot more Gatekeeper.  It was now quite warm and the birds were quiet, so once back at the car I headed home.  It was so welcome to be back in the sunshine, but would it last.

No comments:

Post a Comment