Thursday 17 October 2024

15th October - Titchfield Haven, Hampshire

I wanted to have another go at the Yellow-browed Warbler along the Canal Path at Titchfield today, So I was off to the Haven for the day.  This time parked in Cliff Road and then a short walk to the visitor centre.  As I crossed the bridge I stopped to check for Kingfisher, but the only bird viewable was a male Marsh Harrier hunting over the reeds at he back of the north scrape.  It was hovering over a particular spot in the reeds.


This bird is easily identifiable with the missing tail feather.



And a drop into the reeds.


With the harrier gone from view I walked on.  It was a very high tide this morning with the high tide time around mid day.  I looked along the beach behind the sailing club area and could see there were good numbers of Sanderling in roost.

I edged along the side of the fence and positioned myself with the sun behind me and almost hidden by the rise in the shingle.  By focussing on the Sanderling the foreground blurred nicely.


I counted 36 Sanderling which shows the numbers are building nicely as we head towards winter.  There were also 8 Ringed Plover in the roost with them and they were just below the highest point of the shingle which once again produced a nice blur in front of the bird that was pin sharp.



A Sanderling in a similar position.



The silver grey plumage is delightful at this time of year.


I was able to move around and use the groyne as cover which allowed some different views of the Ringed Plover.



And some different views of the Sanderling.




One of the Sanderling had a very dark base to the feathers and still some breeding plumage on the crown and chest.  A close up.



Still to achieve the full silver grey winter plumage.


And to end a nice portrait.

Leaving the Sanderling I returned to the sea wall.  A very brick red Stonechat was on the reserve fence.

I headed to the canal path and walked to Hammond's Bridge, when I arrived it was quiet, there were a few Chiffchaff calling but not as much activity as on Sunday.  I met up with Franno and walked around to the area behind the willows.  The wind was fresher than on Sunday too and this was making it difficult to hear, around the back it was a lot stiller.

There were also more birds about, mostly Long-tailed Tits, but also some Chiffchaffs, Blue and Great Tits, and Goldcrests.  We heard the Yellow-browed Call on one occasion and I finally managed to get a brief view in a bush above.  Once I got on it, the warbler flew and called and was then lost to view in the trees behind us.  I waited a little longer but decided after a couple of hours to move.  Later the The Yellow-browed showed for Franno and it turns out there were two present.

I walked to the reserve and into the Meon Shore Hide.  The water was still high, but there were more duck in front of the hide than on previous days.  It was also to see the Shoveler in almost breeding plumage.  This drake was preening and had to shake off the water.



The island was empty Sunday but today it was quite busy with Lapwing, Snipe of course and these Redshank.


I managed to count 27 Snipe on the island, with many hidden amongst the vegetation.



Looking down the scrape there was a very distant Red Kite.


The male male Marsh Harrier seen earlier was now on the left hand side of the reserve, once again hanging over the grass and reeds.




It then flew around the area in front of the West Hide, but of course nobody would have seen it as nobody goes in there.

The Lapwing are always quite jumpy and will fly up, but then return to the islands.  Today they would fly around and then head into the wind to slow their descent to the island or shallow water.

The broad wings would be used to bring them almost stationary before dropping.


Another duck close to the hide a drake Gadwall


I left the Meon Shore Hide and walked all the way to the Spurgin Hide where I settled in for lunch.  Almost immediately a female type Marsh Harrier appeared but was seen to be calling.  There was another female type bird around and it could be that one was an immature bird calling to the adult.

It was still calling.


The two female type harriers together.


Then a Raven appeared coming in from the north.


And it took exception to the presence of the Marsh Harrier.



The Raven, chased the harrier away and then flew across towards the east.  But the harrier returned, drifting over the hide.




The Jays are still busy flying across the reserve, this one without an acorn.

The Kingfishers that have recently been showing well around the Spurgin Hide seem to have dried up over the last few days.  I never saw one in the couple of hours I was in the hide.

Just before I left the Marsh Harrier came back banking in front of the hide.


This Grey Heron was sitting in the reeds when I arrived and hadn't moved.  I felt I had to take the photograph just to admire the patience of this stealth hunter.


I walked back to the Meon Shore Hide where the Snipe were still present, if a few had moved.



Another Shoveler preening which ended with a nice wing flap to show off the colours in the wing.



Just as I was about to leave a Redshank flew to the posts in the water.


And with that I decided it was time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment