Part two of my visit to Farlington and a slightly different experience to that first thing but in no way lacking in the quality of part one
The Lake at Farlington at this time of year can provide some very good conditions for autumn waders and this was definitely the case today There was visible mud and some shallow water, the waders were roosting in the shallow water with a lot of duck occupying the deep water to the middle of the lake.
The one problem is the distance from the sea wall not being that conducive to photography and today matters were made worse by the heat haze. It was a case of viewing with the telescope, so I settled down in the grass on the bank of sea wall and scanned through the flocks.
There were large flocks of Black-tailed Godwit and Redshank and in amongst them were Dunlin. The most recent attraction though were the Curlew Sandpiper, but as I scanned through the flocks in search I came across thee two Little Stint, here feeding with a lone Dunlin for size comparisons. This unfortunately is just a record shot.
I found the Curlew Sandpipers, at one point I counted 15, but there may well have been many more. Once again they were distant and difficult to get a decent shot. This flight image was the best I could get of one, again with Dunlin.
At one point the waders were spooked and flew around the scrape, here Redshank, Black-tailed Godwits, Dunlin and a few Knot in amongst them.
A large flock of Black-tailed Godwits lew around the scrape looking smart against some of the darker grey clouds that had appeared.
I had seen Grey Plover out in the harbour, but a flock of just over sixty dropped on to the Lake, many of them still in their silver and black summer plumage.
One broke ranks and came a little closer.
As the tide was almost at its highest the duck started to move. I had seen Teal and Gadwall on the water, but not really scanned for anything else. Flying around the Lake were the first Wigeon of the year and about thirty Pintail. Here Wigeon and a single Pintail.
The Pintail came head on before breaking away and splitting up.
As everything settled down to see out the high tide I decided to walk back down to the stream. There was a herd of cattle by the water and I had been told that there were Yellow Wagtail amongst them. Last year I had my best views of Yellow Wagtail here and by the stream, so I was hoping I would get similar views today.
As I approached the cattle quite a sizeable flock of Yellow Wagtail flew up into the nearby bush that had quite a few dead branches.
A female type.
They soon returned to the ground and started to forage amongst the grass and the cattle.
I was kneeling down and concentrating on the wagtails when I noticed that one cow had become quite inquisitive about my presence. As I turned to watch where the cow was a Yellow Wagtail flew to the cow nand stopped on the grass on the other side to me, very close. I could see it through the cow's legs. This gave me some of the closest views I have ever had of what is normally a very shy bird and normally flies off with any approach.
The Yellow Wagtail finally flew off but almost immediately afterwards a Cattle Egret appeared. The black bill and lack of any orange brown on the breast and crest show this to be a immature, probably one of this year's fledglings.
So it was back to the Yellow Wagtails and I decided the best way was to kneel down and wait and they would come to me, which they did, through the grass.
Feeding around the muzzle of a cow.
Here a smart yellow male.
They all flew into the bushes once again and as I approached many flew out, back to the cattle, but one or two stayed showing well and sat nicely for me.
There was one below on an ant hill in that lunging pose the Yellow Wagtail uses when hunting for flies.
The last one in the bushes sat at the top of the tree and after preening sat nicely for me.
Once again the cattle at Farlington had brought about a wonderful Yellow Wagtail experience and they were not finished as the Cattle Egret returned.
It made its way to another cow that was close to me and like the Yellow Wagtail earlier appeared between the cows legs.
The binocular set of the eyes give them a comical look.
And finally my favourite, the egret appearing around the muzzle of the cow, again with that quizzical and comical appearance.
I hadn't been to Farlington for some while and did not know what to expect. It was a brilliant day with some quality birds and some great encounters.
No comments:
Post a Comment