Monday 28 March 2022

24th March - Old Down Wood, Hampshire

I would normally post any experience I have locally around Four Marks on my other blog, but since I have been running that down I decided that it would be appropriate to post anything special on this blog, which has become the main blog now.  I consider this to be that special.

I had the opportunity to walk around Old Down Wood at lunch time, the weather was glorious, clear blue sky very little wind and a warm early spring sun.  The wood was busy with the song of Chiffchaffs, the calls of Great, Marsh and Blue Tits, and overhead there were six circling Ravens.  But it was one particular song that caught the ear, that of the Firecrest.  This small, beautiful bird has been a permanent feature of Spring around the village, with a peak of ten singing birds present in the spring of 2020, the lockdown allowing me time to find them.  This male was singing in an area of holly bushes, one of their favoured trees.  It put on a remarkable show, I think there was another male nearby as I could hear another bird close by.  It really was a case of press the camera shutter and see what comes out.  I had the shutter speed high which was a big help in catching the open wing shots.

There are a lot, why not this is the best time of year to catch up with one of the best British birds.  This portfolio goes into the many other photographs of the Firecrests I have photographed around Four Marks.

No more words, I have said more than enough about the Firecrest previously, hope you find them interesting.






























That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment