Sunday 16 October 2022

15th October - Keyhaven - Lymington Reserve, Hampshire

I headed west this morning at, for once, and acceptable hour due to sun rise being around 7:30am.  Pulling into the car park at Lower Pennington Lane, the sun was yet to put in an appearance but there were signs away on the horizon across the Pennington marsh.  Suited and booted I headed across the Old Tip towards Fishtail Lagoon.  The lagoon was looking more like its own self after the severe dry conditions we gad through the summer and  early autumn.

Looking in the other direction across Butts the sun was finally beginning to make its mark on the day.



At the sea wall I turned right and headed west, the early sunshine turning the salt marsh a golden brown and the clouds above Hurst Castle pink and grey.


There were several Curlew out on the marsh, this one highlighted by the morning sun as it walked across the mud.


Looking back as the sea wall takes a bend on the way to the south west corner of the lagoon the sun had finally broken through the cloud on the horizon and lit up the channel where Redshank and Greenshank were present.


In the south west corner of the lagoon there was quite a large area of mud, some wet with it drying out closer to the edge of the lagoon.  It was gloomy and with the dark mud difficult to make out initially the waders on the mud.  As I dropped down to eye level the waders spooked and I watched as four medium sized waders and two small waders flew around and over my head.

They circled around and then settled back on the lagoon, this time at the edge of the water and closer to me.  The smaller waders were Little Stint, probably two of the four that have been regular here for the last few weeks.  The medium sized waders being four Ruff.


From the size I would suggest that this was a male bird.


The Little Stint were also on the water and again close to me.



Such a dainty little wader.


More of the Ruff.



The Little Stint feeding in the water.



The two birds present were juveniles.




The sun was now just high enough to light up the water as it rose above the the sea wall, sending a golden glow to light up the Ruff.



Contrast on the mud.


Synchronised feeding.


The waders had been quite nervous having several fly aways only to return, there were also fourteen Pied Wagtails, that were feeding on the mud.  An alarm call put them all  up and I could hear squealing, then a female Sparrowhawk flew low close to the fence with an unfortunate Starling in her talons, she then flew low over the water and into a gap in the scrub, no doubt to dispatch the poor bird.  The waders though did not return this time.

I turned and with the freshening south west wind at my headed towards Butts Bay.  The sun was casting shadows across the mud and lighting the water that was rising into the channel.  The Greenshank that had been present earlier was still feeding on the edge of the water.  One of those unmistakable silhouettes.

There was also a Little Egret feeding in the same channel.


By the steps that lead up to the sea wall a Raven was sifting through some rubbish.



It was nice to be able to get close to one, normally they either fly over or stay at distance


There were several groups of Shoveler on the Jetty Lagoon, several of the drakes were almost over the eclipse moult.
 

On Pennington there were a few more duck, this time mostly Teal and Wigeon.


There were several Curlew feeding on the marsh behind the lagoon, this one roosting in the shelter of the wind.
 

More Curlew off shore, one flew past calling.


A little further along a Little Egret was having its feathers ruffled by what was now a very strong wind.


Walking around into Oxey Marsh and the lake there was a single Great Crested Grebe off shore and several Eider on the spits on the east side of the lake.

The light was still wonderful and it highlighted the beauty of the Redshank, the red legs that give the bird its name standing out.



Black-tailed Godwits were feeding on the edge of the water, drilling into the sea weed washed up on the shore.



Always on the alert.


Turnstone and Dunlin could also be seen on the mud exposed around the channel that leads to Moses Dock.  Redshank though were the most numerous wader, this one running across the mud as I approached.


On the other side of the dock the water level was rising.  A Greenshank stood on the edge of the water.


It kept it back to me, but was aware of me as I tried to get as close as possible.



But then I approached too close and with the piercing call flew off.

Black-tailed Godwits were feeding in the corner of Salterns, the light still gorgeous.


A Redshank flew across the water.


Walking around to Eight Acre Pond there was a maximum count of fourteen Little Grebe, on the other side of the wall the tide was rising and pushing the waders close to the path.  The light was now changing, the sun higher, but still providing some atmospheric images,  here Dunlin spread out feeding on the mud.


And a sky with clouds that was just crying out for a black and white image.

Normandy Marsh was a disappointment with very little activity.  Dunlin and Redshank fed on the edge of the pool and Black-tailed Godwits were in the deeper water.  Canada and Greylag Geese were on the islands along with Wigeon.

I made my way bag, this time heading into the very fresh wind.  The Dunlin were closer and they were also flighty.  As I came around the corner of Salterns, I was taken by the colours in  the vegetation where another Redshank was standing.


An even stronger wind and dark clouds away to the west made me remember the forecast of showers.  Checking the radar the rain was not far away and I started to stride out a lot quicker.  I reached the car park just before the rain came and managed to sit out what was a very heavy but short shower.


With the rain moving away to the south east, I set out once again for Fishtail.  As I walked along the sea wall there was a clear definition with the clouds overhead.


Pied Wagtail and Meadow Pipits had been the most numerous birds along the sea wall, they seemed to be everywhere.  It would then have been amiss not o have recorded this record.

A Pied Wagtail.


And an inquisitive Meadow Pipit.



At the east end of Keyhaven Lagoon a very nice Stonechat.


As I walked along the path I noticed a large bird come high above the salt marsh from the west.  At first I thought Cormorant but as it came closer I could see quite clearly that it was a Great Northern Diver, the bill and forehead being clearly visible

The tide was rising fast filling the channels quite quickly, again some lovely colours.


The rising tide was also pushing the waders close to the path, There were Grey Plover, Redshank and at least fifty Dunlin close in.


A close Black-tailed Godwit flew away from me out across the Keyhaven Lagoon.


Back at Fishtail there was a group of fifteen Dunlin and a single Ruff flew in but did not stay long.  On the fence an immature Stonechat showed well.


More spectacular skies above the Jetty and Butts Lagoon.


Walking past Butts and Jetty there were good numbers of duck sheltering from the strong wind, most numerous were Teal but there were Gadwall, Mallard and Wigeon and a single Pintail.  The Shoveler were still present and were feeding in groups.

I wanted to check the Shoveler Pools, an earlier visit had drawn a blank, but with the tide high there was a chance there could now be some waders.  As I climbed the bank I disturbed a Green Sandpiper that flew off calling.  Looking north I could see Dunlin in the water and in the mud and in with them were three Little Stint.  Here on in the mud.


Then eventually out in to open water.


Three stayed together and were all juveniles, but I then found another away from the mud making four in total, I think this one is an adult.


The clouds were darkening once more so I headed towards the car park.  The cattle on the marsh were close to the path.  There had been a steady trickle of Swallows moving through during the day.  As I passed the cattle I noticed at least three swallows flying low over the marsh and around the cattle.  I stopped to watch and to try and photograph them.


They were all immature birds showing no tail streamers.


As I watched and tried badly to photograph the Swallows I wondered if this would be the last time I see them this year.  It was struggle in the spring to get my first ones, so it was nice to still see them in the middle of October.  My thoughts were on the journey these birds would be embarking on and would they be back next year.  Winter is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment