Sunday 23 October 2022

22nd October - Butser Hill and Farlington Marshes, Hampshire

 At this time of year it is usually a trip to Leaden Hall in the New Forest in search of Ring Ouzel that stop off on the plateau to consume the berries available on the Whitebeam and Hawthorn, but as I described a couple of weeks ago, the landscape there has changed and just maybe this has contributed to the lack of sightings this year.  This week there has been a considerable influx of winter thrushes on the back of easterly winds and with them have been a good number of Ring Ouzel sightings.  It was on the back of these reports that I found myself navigating the small country lanes and villages I have never heard of on my way to Butser Hill.

The car park, according to Google, is just eleven miles from home, butthe journey took over thirty minutes due to closed roads and flooded lanes.  I have lived in Hampshire for the good part of nearly thirty years, and have visited Butser Hill once, being put off by the steep walk from Queen Elizabeth Park.  Today though I was heading for the car park at the top of the hill, somewhere I have never been before.  Pulling into the car park I was greeted with an incredible sky, overnight there had been quite a bit of rain, but the skies had cleared this morning and what a show.

On Friday there was the report of five, maybe six Ring Ouzel, north of the car park, but I wasn't sure of the exact spot and having not been here before I decided to look for places where they may have been.  I was encouraged as I passed through a gate by a large flock of Redwing passing overhead, my first of the autumn, their seep calls unmistakable.

A Kestrel was hovering in front of me, it being lit up by the morning light against a purple sky.


The Kestrel was then mobbed by a Rook, but as it evaded the corvid it flew into another Kestrel and there was a squabble between to two, with their calls quite loud as they sorted out there differences.

I walked around the slope path with more Redwing overhead and they were then joined by several Fieldfare.  The walk was toward the west with the sky lit up by the rising light.



Some mist gathering in the valley bottom.


I found myself following the path around the slopes, the landscape was stunning.  The valleys were created by water and are a classic example of down land.

Trickles of thrushes passed overhead moving towards the west and down into the valleys.  There was though no sign of any Ring Ouzel.  Slowly the sky changed, becoming as expected with the wispy clouds in the blue sky.


A Kestrel was using the rising air along the ridge to hover and hunt.


This is Rake Bottom, a good area for Duke of Burgundy in the spring.


Turning to the east the sun was now up.


A mixture of mist and morning sunshine created a moody scene away towards the village of Brunton.


The white dots here are sheep showing how high up the ridge I was walking was.


Redwing continued to pass over and they afforded the opportunity to try and photograph them.


The missile like profile of the Redwing.


A sizeable flock of Fieldfare passed over, announcing themselves with the chuckle calls.



More stunning views across the South Downs.



I then walked through a gate and noticed a black bird at the top of a tree on the north facing slope.  As I raised the camera I heard it give the familiar chuck alarm call of the Ring Ouzel and it then promptly disappeared.

I walked around the area and heard it call twice more but never saw it again.  I decided to walk back towards the cafe and this took me around a large area of scrub.  Coming to the end of it I came across some familiar faces who were all watching some distant Ring Ouzel.

I got on to them very quickly as they moved about amongst the scrub and bushes.  Showing very distantly, but showing well enough to confirm they were Ring Ouzel.  Here one of the two males



I took a break and grabbed a coffee from the cafe, then returned and the views were much the same.  Two males showing here.


They did come a little closer, moving around the ridge and the scrub.


Probably the best view I had.


There were definitely two males and two females, with the other bird a juvenile.  There could very well have been more.  The last good view I had was of this male.


The views were pretty much the same from there on and the gathered group had to rely on some sightings of Bullfinch and a Rook persistently mobbing one of the resident Kestrels.




Coming up to midday I decided to move on and headed down the hill.  My first thought was to go to Titchfield, but then decided to divert to Farlington, it was closer and with the high tide up, the roost on the lake could be interesting.

The tide was high but I could see the water levels on the Lake were very high.  As I walked to the viewing platform three Cattle Egret flew up from around the cattle in the field by the sea wall.


A Peregrine was picked up on the fence and then flew low across the marsh before heading off towards Portchester.


Decided not to walk around the marsh, deciding to stay put to see what would happen.  The Lake though, as you can see was very high.


As the tide began to fall the duck started to move, three Wigeon heading out into the harbour.


The main flock of Black-tailed Godwits had left the stream and flown to the islands emerging out in the harbour.  A little later a single godwit came low across the lake.


Female Pintail leaving.


A couple of drake teal were staying close top the reeds near to the sluice.



Some interesting acrobatics as the Pintail headed out on to the mud.


A Buzzard had been sitting on one of the posts, but then came across the lake, scattering the duck.  You think birds have eyes on the side of their heads, but here you can see they clearly have binocular vision.



Then turning away to the south and out across the marsh.


There had been plenty of female Pintail moving out from the roost, but it was the drakes I wanted to see.  The last visit here they were still in eclipse plumage but today I could see they were looking really good.  This Drake had been on the Lake and caught me unawares as it suddenly flew off.  I managed to get it as it dropped into one of the channels in the harbour.



This Little Egret was fishing in one of the channels, then came out on to the mud to chase off a couple of Black-headed Gulls.  With the gulls gone the egret stood on the mud showing off its shiny yellow feet.


I decided to make my way back to the car, but stopped to watch this Pintail closer than any one so far.

My favourite duck certainly has its mojo back



Then it under took some really extensive grooming with plenty of ducking and splashing.






The full dunking.



Then all calmed down.

This was one of those October days when you get something special then everything else is quiet.  I thoroughly enjoyed Butser Hill for the landscape and views.  The Ring Ouzel were also special, its just a shame that they did not come any closer.  Still Ring Ouzel is in the bag when I wondered whether I would get one this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment