Thursday 14 December 2023

11th December - The New Forest

Recent reports of Goosander and Brambling showing well at Cadmans Pool in the New Forest had been interesting me for a while.  I needed Brambling for the year and I have always wanted to get some closer shots of a male Goosander.  The weather forecast looked ideal so I decided to go.  Overnight it had been wet, but the morning saw the clouds clear.  Pulling up into the car park after negotiating a very potholed car park, there were plenty of Mallard milling around, probably waiting to be fed.

I decided to walk around the pond to start and was joined by a Pied Wagtail.


Overhead there were passing Redwing and Fieldfare and looking through the gorse I picked up a Mistle Thrush on the ground.  In the New Forest you are never far away from horse poo.


The pool was empty, no Goosander and no Mandarin.  Making my way back to the car park I turned my attention to the small birds feeding in the leaf litter.  Using the thermal camera I was able to locate them and then identify, there were Chaffinches, lots of them, Blackbirds and Redwing, but no sign of any Brambling.  I had been told I needed patience so I stuck at it.  I walked around the wooded area, flushing Fieldfare and Redwing and seeing Great Spotted Woodpecker and Jay.  This Treecreeper was nice on the moss on the bough of a beech tree.


Back in the car park people put seed on the posts and old branches and this Nuthatch was not worried about me, more intent on finding the seed.



I spent three hours sifting through many Chaffinch with no luck at all on finding Brambling.  I decided then to change the scenery and try another site where I have seen them before.  So it was I arrived in the small car park off the Bolderwood Arboretum drive.  I first tried the north side without any luck, just Marsh and Coal Tit.  Next the south, here a nice Stock Dove at the top of a dead tree.


I consoled myself with the thought that while there was a lack of birds it was a lovely day, the woods looking splendid.


And the rich green moss covering the dead trees and ground looked superb in the sunshine.


A wren caught my eye searching amongst the dead branches and bough littered on the ground.


The highlight here was a flock of Long-tailed Tits that gave me the run around until I managed to get this individual.


Back to the car for lunch and a Red Admiral flies around my head, crazy.  Then a message comes in, male and female Brambling at Cadmans Pool, so it was a short drive back and the start of a search again.  The Chaffinches were harder to find and I spent some time walking around following them and looking for a white rump as they flew from the ground to the trees.  There were also two more Red Admirals in the sunshine, but they never settled.

In between I was also interested in the Redwing.  Both the Redwing and Fieldfare are notoriously shy and no matter how careful you are they seem to sense you and fly off.  A Holly tree with plenty of berries kept this Redwing interested and so I was able to get some shots.

At first at the top of the tree.


Then in the middle of the tree taking the berries, always a good scene.



Tossing it up.



There were plenty of Fieldfare about, but they have the capability of being able to merge into the trees even when there are no leaves.  I did manage to catch these two.



The light was fading and time was running out.  As I was about to give up two ladies called to me and asked if I was looking for Brambling as they had one in a tree.  I rushed over and picked it up, however I knew immediately that this was not a Brambling but a Lesser Redpoll.



It was nice to get some good views of Redpoll as the only ones I have seen this year were distant ones at the top of a tree at Fishlake Meadows



There had always been hope that the Goosander might return to roost, but hoards of dog walkers arrived to walk around the pond, so that and the fading light convinced me it was time to head home.

There are days like these and they are important as they make you appreciate even more the good ones.  I continued to tell my self I am so lucky to be able to get out in weather like this, there will be other chances I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment