Tuesday 12 December 2023

9th December - Elmley NNR, Kent

A terrible forecast, but I was staying over n Kent and I wasn't going to turn up a chance to spend some time at Elmley.  There is the chance to use the car as a moving hide along the entrance track and if necessary I would either park up and watch or drive up and down.  The one thing you have to be clever about is positioning the car so that the rain doesn't come into the window.

The journey was horrendous in almost torrential rain, but I was optimistic, the forecast had updated to a dry afternoon with sunshine, but also high winds.  After checking in I set off along the entrance track, on both sides there were large flocks of Lapwing and away in the distance I could see at least four hunting Marsh Harriers.

I stopped to check a flock of Lapwing and in amongst them was a Ruff.

I settled in to watch the marsh with Curlew and Lapwing being disturbed by the Marsh Harriers.  I picked up two swans coming from the west, they did not look like Mute Swans so I photographed them and when I checked the pictures on the back of the camera I thought, through their size and the yellow on the bill, they were Whooper Swans, but checking them here the bill pattern shows a dark base and these are the smaller Bewick's Swans.  Never mind, a year trick either way.


The leading bird.


Caught up by the other.


Some more action from along the track.  I picked up this Marsh Harrier that looked very orange until I realised that it was sporting wing tags.  The orange wing tag had the number "X6" on it.


The orange tags indicate that this bird was probably tagged in Norfolk, although I can't find any definitive information on the bird.




The considerable numbers of Marsh Harriers across the marsh were putting up the Lapwing and Black-tailed Godwits.



Here three Marsh Harriers on the ground, at one point I saw six together on the ground with another six flying above them.  The numbers of harriers here is incredible.


It was difficult to get the exposure right in the gloomy conditions, here a silhouetted harrier.


A close fly past, legs used as stabilizers in the wind.


It was wet and windy outside but the car was providing a snug, warm and entertaining hide, six music on the radio.


Curlew on the grass close to the track.


A rather bedraggled Skylark.


Some signs that the weather was breaking.


The rain having eased I decided to make my way to the car park.  This female Kestrel was perched on a post close to the car park turn.

From the car park I had the obligatory search for the Long-eared Owls in the scrub around the car park, and as seem to also be obligatory there was no sign of them at all.  There has also been a Pallas's Warbler in the scrub with Goldcrests.  I thought I heard it calling but only found a Linnet which sounded similar so I couldn't be sure.  I did see two Goldcrests though.

I walked down to the school house to see if I could find the Little Owl at the Old School House.  I didn't have high hopes due to the weather.  There was no sign of the Little Owl but a Barn Owl did appear, fly around the building and then headed around the trees and off towards the main car park area.

I walked back to the car but couldn't see it.  After some lunch I realised that there was a Short-eared Owl sitting on one of the plastic tree covers just outside the car park.  It was quite a dark individual, but that could be due to the recent rain.


There was some sunshine and rain and it seemed as if the owl was looking to dry its feathers and in this shot it doesn't look too happy.


A couple of Kestrels were flying around the field and the owl kepts an eye on them as they flew past.



It was much brighter now with some sunshine, but the wind was picking up, I decided to return to the Brickfields rather than head out towards the Swale, something I would regret.

Back at the School House despite the warming sunshine there was no sign of the Little Owl.  I decided to walk down to the reed bed where there were two Marsh Harriers hunting.  As I stood watching the harriers I heard the "pings" of Bearded Tits and managed to see several fly across the top of the reeds.

The Marsh Harriers were working a circular route around the reeds, there was a smart male that I focused on and wanted to be able to capture it in the industrial setting.  This part of the Swale is lined with cement and chemical works, while there is also the imposing Swale bridge that rises above everything.  The important thing for the Marsh Harriers is the reed bed and surrounding marsh, they are not concerned with the industrial setting, but it does make for some interesting photography.


The concrete monolith of the Swale Bridge


Wind Turbines and electricity pylons.



As the Marsh Harrier came a little closer I was able to pick it up just over the top of the reeds.



This time, pylons, wind turbines and a few cranes!


With these birds being so prolific here on Elmley it is difficult to think that maybe twenty five years ago the Marsh Harrier was considered a rarity here in the United Kingdom.

As I walked back to the car park once more I picked up something orange down in the Brickfields, thinking it might be a perched Harrier I took a distant photograph only to find out that it was in fact a pair of Greylag Geese, the positioning of the heads showing off their orange bills.


As I walked to the car, news came in of a male Hen Harrier having been seen, I guessed it must have been along the sea wall as that is what I had been told earlier, I cursed myself for not following up on this information.  I made my way to the screens, where I found the person who had reported it and sure enough it had come past.  

I stood around scanning in hope without any luck.  On the pool opposite there was a large flock of Wigeon, their numbers having swelled considerably since my last visit.  I was also pleased to see a pair of Pochard and a single Tufted Duck.

Walking back to the car once more there was a Kestrel hunting over one of the mounds used to shelter the chalets, this meant it eventually dropped to about eye level as it concentrated on the possible prey below.




ad up to check surroundings.


It realised that I was in front of it and it turned and flew away.


Back at the car park the number of visitors was increasing, it was now a very nice afternoon with that low golden afternoon sunshine, but the wind had increased significantly and this might mean the owls do not show.

Taking the opportunity for a cup of tea I continued to scan the marsh and picked up the male Hen Harrier, very distantly across the marsh.  It was heading east with the wind and I left my flask and cup on the car and dashed down the track towards the screens, but it was gone.  At least I managed to see it if only briefly.

I had one more walk to the school house with the same results, the wind now very strong.  As a result I decided the owls would not show, the one that had been out in the open had long disappeared.  I decided to head back, taking my time as I drove along the entrance track.  Just out of the car park a pair of Curlew were feeding in the lovely winter sunshine.



Once again there were plenty of Marsh Harrier, all distant mostly other than this female that caught the sunshine as she drifted across the marsh, once again with a wind turbine background.


Reaching the entrance just before sunset, the scene across the marsh.  Once again the combination of nature and man's industrialisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment