Friday 12 April 2024

11th April - Bransbury Common and Pennington Marshes, Hampshire

Great Grey Shrikes have been far and few between this winter in Hampshire, so a report of one at Bransbury Common was worth making an effort to go and see.  It has been awhile since I last visited this sight, then it was for the rarity that was a Great Egret then.  As I pulled up to park, I remembered the place, but for an unhappy event that took place a few years ago.

I walked down the footpath to the river and ford.  As I walked into the field I heard the reeling of a Grasshopper Warbler coming from a clump of hawthorn and bramble.  I just caught a glimpse of this very elusive bird, before it shot back into the middle of the bushes.  I waited while it continued to sing, but it didn't show again.  I decided it was time to look for the bird I had come here for.

Looking north from the Ford there were hawthorn bushes amongst the long grass.  Great Grey Shrikes, if present will show themselves well.  I was looking for a whitish blob on the top of a bush and quickly found one.


A closer view.


It then moved to what turned out to be its favourite branch and tree.  It would fly off from here but always return.  In fact so much so that I could leave my scope, walk away, return and there it would be.


A Yellowhammer was singing behind me.


The area was alive with bird song, Chiffchaffs probably the most numerous, with Sedge Warbler a close second.  In addition there was a distant Willow Warbler and a Reed Warbler.

The Sedge Warblers were singing from within the reeds and bushes, but this one edged its way out into the open.


The shrike then moved a little closer, perching in the middle of the bushes.


Then photo bombed by a Roe Deer.


Whilst too distant views for good photography the views through the scope were excellent, shrikes are always good birds to catch up with.

A Whooper Swan had been found at Oxey Marsh the previous day and was there again this morning.  I decided to go for it as it would be a first in Hampshire for me.  The drive took just over an hour, but there was space at the sea wall car park.  Walking across the Old Tip there were two Whitethroats singing, my first of the year and one of the earliest I have seen.

It showed very well, singing from a clump of Bramble.  Being the first of the year it is time for a few photographs.






The path to the Jetty has been flooded, there was still water on the path, but not as bad as it has been.  In the shallow water a Greenshank was feeding and it let me get quite close.






The tide was very high and almost over the jetty, as a result Turnstones were bathing in the lagoon.  I walked as far as the path across Oxey, where I met another birder.  He was looking for the swan and had walked from Normandy, but hadn't seen any sign of it.  I decided then to head back and check out Fishtail and Keyhaven to see if it was there.  As I walked Mediterranean Gulls flew over calling.

The male Scaup was still present on Butts Lagoon.



I wonder how long it will remain?


A Stonechat in the gorse.


There were Coot wars taking place on the lagoon.


Avocet on Fishtail.


Two second calendar year Little Gulls were flying around at the back of the lagoon

There wasn't any sign of the swan on Fishtail and Keyhaven, so I headed back to the car and the chance to check Pennington Marsh.  A Mute Swan had me going at first, and then there was this lone Spoonbill, but no sign of the swan.


I walked along the highway to see if I could get a better view of the Little Gulls, but couldn't relocate them.  There was though a Common Tern on one of the islands, another year tick.


Then a message came in that the Whooper Swan was still present and with details of where.  I debated whether to walk there or drive, in the end I decided to drive and parked just beyond the Chequers Inn.  From there I walked along Oxey Creek and then turned righ to head towards the cattle gates by the footpath.  Walking up I could see the Whooper Swan on the marsh, whether it is Oxey Marsh is debateable, but I had found it.



This looks like a second calendar year bird, immatures being a darker brown on the first fledging, they then become progressively white.  



Soon I would expect this bird to continue the journey to Iceland.  There immature birds are often seen on their own on the marshes.



Wild swans in Hampshire have become a real rarity so it was good to catch up with this Whooper, a first in Hampshire for me.



Before leaving I walked to Salterns where there were three pairs of Avocet.  One pair was close to the path.



I walked back towards the car and stopped to tell a couple where the swan was, they returned the favour by asking if I owned a silver Volkswagen, because the rear door was open.  Of course it was me and I then ran back to indeed find my rear door open.  Fortunately nothing was missing.

A good day, two special birds and several year ticks

No comments:

Post a Comment