Saturday 13 April 2024

12th April - Old Winchester Hill, Hampshire

The weather was being kind so I decided to try Old Winchester Hill once again for migrants, surely I could catch up with a Wheatear.  Driving up the hill to the car park there were the usual Red-legged Partridges scattered across the road.

From the car park I walked along the top path once again, the sunshine was watery and the breeze light from the south making it a pleasant morning.  Chiffchaffs were singing in the scrub, and sitting in the sunshine were a pair of Blackcaps.


The path turns towards the fort and then past the line of holly and yew trees.  A Firecrest was singing and showed quite well in amongst the branches.




A little further along a Willow Warbler was singing and while I waited in hope it would show, a newly emerged Peacock butterfly was on the blossom.



I walked down to the bottom of the south slope, but apart from a singing Chiffchaff, there was nothing.  From there I walked back up to the outer wall of the fort and walked to the west.  A Raven called and flew past.


Down in the fields below the fort the sheep had lambs.  The lamb on the left was a single lamb and came over to see the pair,  The Ewe was not happy and eventually chased it away.


It was now quite warm in the sunshine a welcome change from the dreary weather we have been having.


The only birds on the fort were Meadow Pipits and Skylarks, there was no sign of the hoped for Wheatear.


Buzzards were using the fresh breeze to display and hunt, they would hover and look down on the slope where rabbits were present.




After a couple of walks around the fort I decided it was enough and headed around the circular walk along the slopes.  A Red Kite came over, passing me and showing really well.




It dropped into the valley and through the trees.


Walking through the wood there was both Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, more singing Firecrest and Chiffchaff and Blackcap singing.

Coming out of the wood there were Brimstone, this one was a female that was looking for suitable short blackthorn bushes.


I followed the path and then climbed the hill to the gate to the car park.  Linnets had been seen all around the area.


Another Firecrest was singing in the yew trees just below the gate, with there having been little of interest about I walked down to see if I could get some more shots.  I could.



Crest up.


Crest down.



A Chiffchaff was singing near the information hut, showing very well.



Very soon I will get fed up with Chiffchaffs, but for now...


Back at the car a Blackcap was singing in the bushes.  Another disappointing visit, surely I must get lucky here.

No comments:

Post a Comment