Tuesday 25 June 2024

25th June - Straits Inclosure and Abbotts Wood, Hampshire

Clear blue skies this morning and as I left the house temperatures already in the low twenties.  Rather than go directly to the Abbotts Wood car park I decided to start at the Straits Inclosure.  Walking down the path it seemed to be a better day already.  On both sides of the path there were Ringlet and Meadow Brown weaving amongst the grasses.  A Red Admiral flew past me, doubled back and settled on the path, but didn't stay long enough for the obligatory photograph.

A Skipper in the grass caught my eye.  At first I thought it might be an Essex Skipper, but after taking photographs from different angles I believe it to be a Small Skipper.




At the Electricity Sub Station there was a couple of White Admiral flying around the bramble and dog rose.  I think this Large Skipper has been present since last week.  It likes this piece of grass and from here it launches its attacks on the Meadow Brown and Ringlet.



I was watching a White Admiral flying around the bushes by the fallen Deer Look Out when I noticed a flash of orange.  I got closer and found that the orange belonged to the first Silver-washed Fritillary of the year.


This was encouraging as there wasn't any around yesterday, so hopes began to be raised.


It had been nectaring on a sap run on the branch, but eventually came out into the open and settled amongst the leaves.



It is the largest Fritillary found in the UK and is a very strong flier, fortunately this one wasn't flying anywhere.



I saw two in the Straits and later one in Abbotts Wood.



I was then joined by another enthusiast and he pointed out a Purple Emperor chrysalis on the underneath of a Sallow leaf.  It is still not showing any colour, so it still could be a while before the adult emerges.


It was a glorious morning, but still here very few butterflies.


Back at the Bramble and Dog Rose a White Admiral was nectaring on the bramble flowers.




I stood around waiting to see if there would be any action around the oaks and sallow, but it remained quiet with only the fritillaries and the White Admirals showing any interest in the flowers.

I walked back to car and drove around to the Abbotts Wood car park.  From the car park I headed down the path.  It was bright, hot and sunny, but still no butterflies around the bracken.  However there was a Beautiful Demoiselle sunlit and sitting on a hazel leaf with a beautiful black background.


The wood was looking lovely in the sunshine, but it was getting hot, maybe too hot.


I reached the assembly area and sat and ate my lunch.  Once again there were very few butterflies about, just a few Meadow Brown and Ringlet.  I walked back to the bramble but there was nothing of any difference there.  I decided to walk to the end of the main path.  This was looking back towards the assembly point with the tall oaks on the left hand side.


I could see the end of the path, but in front of me was what looked like wire on the path.  As I got closer I could see it wasn't a piece of wire but a young Grass Snake.  It was about two foot in length and it was still on the path.


At first I thought it might be dead, but the head then moved and it opened its mouth wide, which I was annoyed I missed.  I then noticed something in the corner of the mouth and could only assume it was the last throws of swallowing prey, lying in the sunshine to aid the process.



I slowly moved around and the snake didn't seem too concerned, staying still, probably because it was still going through the swallow.



I couldn't get all the snake in.


Some close ups of what ever it was swallowing.



Almost gone the tongue flashing out.


Finally it looks like it has been swallowed.


A close up confirming.


It then turned away from me and headed for the grass by the side of the path and away out of sight.

I have seen Adders over the lst few years, but I have not seen a Grass Snake for a very long while and then it was just a quick view.  This was a great opportunity to get close and to appreciate the lovely colouring and the distinctive yellow patch at the back of the head.

I walked back to the assembly are and put in some more time, but with nothing showing and it was very hot I decided to head to the car and home.  A Marbled White joined me on the walk back with it not stopping, supercharged with the warmth and sunshine.  Another Beautiful Demoiselle posed on a Bracken Leaf.


A Speckled Wood on Bracken.


And just before I reached the car park a very nice Ringlet by the path, showing off the rings.

So for the third visit, no Purple Emperor, but some green shoots in the emergence of the Silver-washed Fritillaries.  There was definitely more butterflies about in Straits, but it was still very poor in Abbotts Wood.  The Grass Snake was a nice bonus though.  Still I will have to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment