Wednesday 20 March 2024

19th March - Oxey Marsh, Hampshire

The forecast wasn't too bad so Decided to go after the reported Red-necked Grebe off shore at Oxey Marsh.  But when I arrived it was misty and with a drizzle that became increasingly worse as the wind picked up.  I walked to the Jetty and then headed east, passing birds on the lagoon that I didn't bother to photograph, a first for me at this location.  

My glasses were constantly being wiped due to the rain and the camera was well protected.  I passed a single Great Crested Grebe and then a Slavonian Grebe that was still in winter plumage.

Walking around to Oxey there was another Slavonian quite close in, but the photographs were not the best I have ever taken.


A male Stonechat showed well in amongst the gorse.

I headed back to the main bend where there were a Greenshank and Spotted Redshank on the pool, while on the sea was a Slavonian Grebe and a nice drake Eider.

There was no sign what so ever of the Red-necked Grebe.

The weather became worse and in the end I just had to give up.  I do not recall ever having been here and not seen much at all, but today was the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment