Friday 22 March 2024

21st March - RSPB Winterbourne Down, Wiltshire & Fishlake Meadows, Hampshire

A trip just outside the county lines of Hampshire today, I was visiting the RSPB reserve at Winterbourne Down in Wiltshire.  Over the last few years the Stone Curlew fix has come from finding them in North West Hampshire, but I had seen photographs of them here and there would also be viewing screens which might make it easier to get closer.

From the car park I headed up the path towards the viewing screen.  It was an overcast morning, there having been a lot of mist around, but this was now lifting.  Chiffchaff were singing in the blackthorn and one individual showed very well.


I reached the viewing screen and immediately realised I would need my scope, so I walked back to the car to get it.  Once back at the screen another birder advised there were two Stone Curlew on the cleared area.  I scanned and this was what I first saw.


Stone Curlew can sit on the ground and can be very still and use their camouflaged plumage to hide.  I have circled the bird in this next image.


A bit clearer here


They were very difficult to see without a scope, but scanning found another not too faraway from the first bird.  This looked like either display or settling on the nest.



I moved from the viewing platform and walked around the footpath where it is possible to view the open area and I found one bird, but had to view through the plastic orange netting.


I could hear the wailing call of Stone Curlews coming from beyond a line of trees.  I then learnt that there was another viewing screen in the trees so I headed there.  I quickly found a pair that were quite close to the edge of the open area and the screen.



The running around must have taken it out on them so they stopped and sat back down around the clods of earth.



Another pair then appeared to the right of the open area, making six Stone Curlew in total today.  This pair show even better.



Then sat it out once again.


In this last photograph you can see that there is the start of a heat haze, the sun was now out.


Anymore photography was going to be difficult now so I decided to move on.  Walking back to the car there was a Peacock and this Small Tortoiseshell.


Despite road closures I made my way to Fishlake Meadows, maybe they were trying to tell me something.

I walked to the roadside viewing platform, where there was very little on the water or in the trees.  A Chiffchaff was singing around me and this male Brimstone finally settled.


In the trees around the car park area was a Treecreeper.


There were also plenty of singing Cetti's Warblers along the canal path, but they would not sit still long enough for a photograph.  There were also a lot of Chiffchaff and they were a little more confiding.


I waded along the centre path to the viewing screen.  A Great Egret was in a flooded field.


Aside from a pair of Great Crested Grebes and calling Cetti's Warblers, there was not a lot at the screens.  I waded back and then up to the canal path, as I approached the gate I heard a Bittern Boom twice.  I waited and heard it once more, but nothing after that.

It was nice though to hear a singing Blackcap amongst the Chiffchaff.


I had been hearing the Siskin in the trees and at one particular spot there were a few singing in the trees, I could only think that there were feeders in the adjacent gardens.


I walked back to the car, once again Fishlake was a let down, one day it will deliver I am sure.  The Stone Curlew, though, performed very well in the morning and I would recommend the Winterbourne Down reserve, but if you want to see the Stone Curlew, now is the best time while the grass is short.

No comments:

Post a Comment