Saturday 9 March 2024

8th March - Acres Down, New Forest, Hampshire

Being away I had missed some of the early special birds on my year list, so to put that right I headed to Acres Down in the New Forest, I only had the morning to find a Woodlark as I  had to be home in the afternoon to get my car from the Body Shop, but I felt that would be plenty of time to find them, it was warm and sunny and there was no doubt they would be singing up on the down.

When I arrived the car park was full with a group of birders on a tour.  Once the car was parked I headed up the hill and onto the down.  The sunshine was watery, with a brisk easterly wind that was cooling.  As I headed towards the copse on the footpath a Chiffchaff flew from the bushes.  I don't recall seeing them over winter here, so there is a good chance this was a newly arrived bird.



A singing Firecrest in the wood gave me a run around, but as I waited to try and see it a Lesser Redpoll flew in above my head.


It was quiet on the down, with very little song to be heard, maybe the cool wind was taking the edge off things.  I met a couple who told me that had seen Woodlark on the slopes.  I searched the area they had pointed out to me and the area I an had told me he had seen them, but with no luck at all.

As I made my way back I heard one bird singing, but couldn't find it.  I walked on towards the viewing point and heard another singing, I scanned the bushes close by and found the Woodlark at the top of the bush


I slowly edged closer using the bushes as cover, and got some closer views.



It then flew off with another and I explored the area to see if I could find anymore, but could only come up with this male Stonechat.


I had some time at the raptor view point, but there was little moving apart from some very distant Buzzards, the easterly wind probably having an affect.

I decided to head back to the car park and then walk down the path to the woodpecker view point.  Passing through the wood once more the Firecrest was singing again and this time I was able to get on it.



There were a lot of photographers at the woodpecker viewpoint, but no woodpecker, I carried on and walked down the path that leads to the area that is good for Crossbill.  No Crossbill, but yet another Firecrest that showed very well.




Time was against me so I had to walk back, a Song Thrush was hunting on the grass in the sunshine.

It was a case of job done today in the amount of time I had.  I will be back as Spring unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment