Friday 16 August 2024

13th August - Fishlake Meadows, Hampshire

After photographing the Osprey at Fishlake Meadows a couple of weeks ago, I always wanted to go back in the hope that I could get some closer shots.  This morning was perfect, a lot fresher and overcast which would reduce the threat of any severe heat haze.  I pulled into the car park just after 9.00am and then walked around to the viewing points off the road side.  I t was quite noisy as contractors were removing Ash trees from th other side of the road and chipping the cut pieces as well.  As I walked up I hoped this would not scare the any Osprey away.

There had not been any reports the previous day, but then it was one of the hottest days of the year and not the best of days to be out looking.  From the first view point the Osprey was present sitting on top of a dead tree at the back of the lake.  As I settled in to watch the Osprey dropped from the top of the tree and headed left and out of sight



By moving around on the view point I was able to get a different view looking further to the left and found the Osprey sitting on a single dead bough.


Along with another birder we decided to walk along the road to see if the dead trees it was sitting in were viewable from the road.  It was quite a walk and normally when I try this I can't find it, or it has flown off, but this morning I was in luck it was in full view, and despite the grey background it was possible to get the first decent photographs of an Osprey here at Fishlake Meadows.


Better positioning and a closer view.


So there will now be quite a few photographs of the Osprey perched, but with slightly different poses.  I make no apologies, I have waited a while for this.





Unusually this is an unringed bird, with the increase in breeding across the country, Fishlake seems to get the juvenile birds arriving and it is usually possible to identify where they have come from by their rings.  This bird is an immature.the white flecked feathers on the wings a sign of the immaturity, but there isn't a ring.



I spared the blog with what came next.


The claws are fascinating to look at and there is some blood on the feathers on the left leg leftover probably from the last meal.





Ospreys are one of those birds all the public are aware of and they are regular at this time of year here at Fishlake.  I can't help thinking the H&IOW wildlife trust are missing out on opportunity for revenues from the public to show them off from some where better than the restricted views available from the road side gaps.






a ruffle of the feathers.


A scratch.


And then it flew off, dropping down and heading out across the water.


I made my way back to the first viewing point and found it again at the top of one of the dead trees at the back of the lake.  And there it stayed for about two hours.


There were other birds to entertain us as we waited for it to do something.  A Lesser Black-backed Gull, one of two that have been chasing the Osprey off, but wasn't interested in it today.


A Great Egret, one of two seen today, but there have been at least four present.





A Kingfisher was heard on several occasions, but not seen and a Hobby flew behind the Osprey, while a Red Kite drifted over.

The Osprey though, was joined by Magpies that were either intent on seeing it off, or hoping that it had some fish bits they could steal.



Back to the Great Egret.


Eventually there was some action, after preening the Osprey took off and ditched several times into the water.  It was always distant and by now the heat haze was bad so there were no acceptable photos.  After returning to the tree to preen after washing, it then flew off, coming back with a small fish which it quickly ate.

Wit it then settling down at the back of the lake and in a really bad heat haze I decided to call it a day.  I had the shots I wanted at last.  As I crossed the canal to the car park this male Beautiful Demoiselle settled on a leaf above the water.


A quick flick of the wings.

I can only be pleased with today, for once some acceptable shots of an Osprey, maybe I will come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment