Wednesday 28 August 2024

27th August - Farlington Marshes, Hampshire

After a morning appointment, I was undecided where to go, I headed south and at last moment opted for a walk a round Farlington Marshes.  It was not the best time, midday, and it was warm with the tide low, but there was always a chance something would be about.

I parked, had some lunch then set off across the meadow and bushes towards the stream.  As I walked through the grass, kicking up plenty of Small Heath butterflies.  I avoided those settling on the grass and opted for one settled on bramble leaves.

The reeds at the back of the stream were all dead, the situation worse than when I was here at the start of the month.  The water level was also very high and there was nothing of interest to be seen.

I walked around to the information hut where I heard but didn't see Bearded Tits.  Again the area was flooded and a Grey Heron was hunting and not too concerned about me.



I walked to the Hay field where there was a large herd of cattle.  I scanned through the cows and quickly found the Cattle Egret that have been here for a few days now.  With the large number of cows and the longish grass it was difficult to get good views, this adult flew up as a cow got too close.


Some cows were lying down while others were walking around, there were four Cattle Egrets amongst them and they were working their way around the heads of the cows, looking for the insects hanging around them.



Sudden movement when the cows moved.


This adult in breeding plumage with the orange brown colouring on the drown, breast and back.


The egrets also provide the opportunity for some comic shots, here it looks like they were having a conversation.



I walked around to a spot close to the sea wall, and then up on to the sea wall to look down on the egrets.


There was though a large amount of heat haze from this position.


The cattle made there way over to me and with them came the Cattle Egrets and the four were then joined by another two that flew in from the Broadmoor area.


A view of the binocular view from the almost forward facing eyes.



I dropped back down on to the path where the egrets were closer to me and the heat haze was not so bad.  The egrets were now once again moving amongst the cattle.


That penetrating stare.


Taking the shots through the legs or between cattle adds some drama to their behaviour.


Plenty of flies to pick off.



A nice portrait of the adult showing off the orange brown crest.



The herd moved off to have a drink and all six Cattle Egret went with them.  I decided to walk around the sea wall.  The tide was on the turn and there were a few Curlew out on the mud but little else.  In the bramble along side the ditch along the sea wall was a sizeable flock of Linnet.


I had been looking for Wheatear in the field where there were quite a few geese including the resident Barnacle Goose.  No wheatear.  I walked on around Point Field, but when around the bottom point suddenly though it might be worth scanning the tops of the bramble.  As a result I picked up a Whinchat.  I decided to walk back to go through the field to get a better view.  As I did a male Linnet dropped on to the sea weed on the water side of the sea wall.



Looking across the field I realised the Whinchat had moved, but was now closer to the sea wall, so I walked back and did indeed get good views of not one, but two Whinchat.



The second bird.



Walking on there was very little about.  I walked quickly past the Lake and the reed bed, I didn't want to dwell on the disaster that they now are.  A dead reed bed and no mud for autumn waders.  Not sure who is to blame for this.

A pleasant afternoon and it was good to spend sometime with the Cattle Egret.

No comments:

Post a Comment